• Welcome to Advance DreamBox Forum. Please login or sign up.

Ubuntu 11.04 final

Started by arjanhs, April 29, 2011, 07:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arjanhs

Donderdag is versie 11.04 van Ubuntu Linux uitgekomen. Tweemaal per jaar verschijnt er een nieuwe versie en net als bij de Catalyst-drivers van AMD vormen het jaar en de maand van uitgave het versienummer. Nieuw in versie 11.04 is de gebruikersinterface Unity, waar voorheen nog Gnome werd gebruikt. Unity kende zijn introductie in de Netbook-versie van Ubuntu 10.10 en wordt nu dus ook voor de desktop gebruikt. Gnome is nog wel de onderliggende laag en er wordt dan ook naar de Gnome-omgeving teruggesprongen wanneer bijvoorbeeld de hardware niet toereikend is om Unity te draaien. Andere noemenswaardige veranderingen zijn dat de mediaspeler Rhythmbox is vervangen door Bansheee en dat we nu LibreOffice aantreffen in plaats van OpenOffice.org.

What's new?
    The release of Ubuntu 11.04 has seen the arrival of a new look and feel for Ubuntu. A whizzy, new launcher and dash, and a clever workspace manager are some of the biggest changes. Take a look at what's new and then feel free to choose between the classic and new desktop experiences at login.

The launcher
    It's pretty hard to miss the new launcher that sits on the left-hand side of your screen. It's designed to make getting to your favourite tools and applications quick and easy. You can hide and reveal it in the top-left corner of your screen, add and remove applications and bookmarks, and keep track of your open windows.

The dash
    When you click on the Ubuntu logo in the top-left corner of your screen, the new dash will appear. It's another simple way to get to your shortcuts and search for other applications and programs. So you can get fast access to your email, music, pictures and much more.

Workspaces
    Ubuntu 11.04 gives you a really easy way to manage multiple windows and applications. Simply click on the Workspaces icon in the launcher and all your active spaces will pop up. You can move between your different windows easily so there'll be no more cramping multiple apps into a small space.

FAQs

Where will I find all my files?
        Your files will be right where you left them. Simply click on the File Manager icon in the launcher to find your saved documents.
        Can I upgrade from my current version?
        Yes! You can follow the same upgrade process as normal. Simply upgrade from the Update Manager and choose between our new and classic desktop experiences at login.
        What will happen to my settings?
        No need to worry... your files and bookmarks will stay the same.
        Will it work with my hardware?
        Ubuntu 11.04 is built to take advantage of the very latest technologies, but it should work on a most desktops, laptops and netbooks too. If you don't have the required hardware, Ubuntu will automatically start the classic desktop experience so you won't have to worry about a thing.
        Can I change my mind?
        No problem at all. You can choose to launch the classic desktop experience when you log in to your computer.

Website   Canonical
Download   http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.04