• Welcome to Advance DreamBox Forum. Please login or sign up.

Linux Kernel 2.6.33

Started by arjanhs, February 26, 2010, 09:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arjanhs

Op de Linux Kernel Mailing List heeft Linus Torvalds weer een nieuwe Linux 2.6-kernel aangekondigd. De kernel heeft versienummer 2.6.33 en bevat de nodige verbeteringen ten opzichte van de vorige uitgave. Zoals gewoonlijk hebben de Kernel Newbies de veranderingen weer keurig op een rijtje gezet en deze zijn op deze pagina na te lezen. Ondersteuning voor onder andere de Nintendo Wii en Gamecube is toegevoegd; daarnaast is Nouveau, een via reverse-engineering verkregen driver voor Nvidia-kaarten, nu standaard aanwezig, en is de Android-kernelcode eruitgewipt. De aankondiging van Torvalds ziet er als volgt uit:

Linux 2.6.33 released

Some final last-minute small regression fixes, but it's out there now.

The shortlog below is (obviously) just the things since the last -rc8, for a fuller log you can either download the full ChangeLog, or preferably do the git thing and look at whatever area you are interested in. Or wait for the kernelnewbies report.

The most noticeable features in 2.6.33 are likely the Nouveau and DRBD integration (and a _lot_ more people will notice the Nouveau part of that). And the Radeon KMS parts aren't considered experimental any more.

Oh, and the AS IO scheduler is gone, since keeping it around and just causing confusion seemed to not be worth it any more. You're supposed to use CFQ instead.

Otherwise, I think this release cycle has been more about various random stuff and drivers, and not several whole new filesystems, for example. As usual, about two thirds of the changes are drivers (and half of that in staging). And the non-driver half is pretty evenly divided between arch updates and "the rest".

And as usual, I'll let things sit for a couple of days before I start seriously merging new stuff, but other than that normal calming down period, the merge window for 2.6.34 is now open.

Linus

Website   Fabrikant
Download   http://www.nl.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/